Tuesday 10 May 2011

THAILAND

Alright guys! We are almost there. Hope you enjoy the beginning of Thailand as much as I did!

PHUKET
We landed in Phuket midday of April 13, which just so happened to be the eve of the Thai New Year, known as Songkran. For me, it was imperative that we make it to Thailand by this day as Songkran consists of one massive water fight. HEAVEN! I can’t say that Keanan was all that excited, but trust me, his perception changed quickly. We were staying in Phuket Town, an hour drive from the airport, and throughout the entire drive we watched groups of people congregating on the sides of the street or in the beds of pickup trucks with drums full of water and super soakers, wetting each other and everything before them. I was elated.



Songkran festivities

We found a quiet and clean guesthouse close to the bus station and as we were settling in I was watching the festivities unfold from the balcony above the street. At one point I saw a group of at least 10 westerners packed into the bed of a pickup truck armed with drums of water and all sorts of water-firing artillery driving down the road. I couldn’t help but be jealous! What a brilliant way to celebrate, they definitely had the right idea.

Shortly after, Keanan and I hit the streets to join in the fun. As luck would have it, no more than 10 min into our walk, we happened upon the group I had seen from our balcony. They had created a gauntlet of doom, flanking both sides of the street, joined by locals, dousing everyone and everything in their paths. Keanan and I walked the catwalk and immediately went from dry to soaking wet. They were ruthless (in the best of ways, of course). We thanked them for the showers and ended up becoming honorary members of their brigade.

As it turns out, they are all crew members on a 100ft yacht, owned by a billionaire- the richest man in Israel. They hailed from all around the world; New Zealand, Australia, England, South Africa, Canada, etc.. With their accommodations and food completely covered, and their paychecks tax-free, some of them had been circumnavigating the globe on this yacht for over four years! I don’t blame them. On this particular tour, they had already spent two months in Sri Lanka, two months in the Maldives, and had been docked in Thailand awaiting their next assignment while enjoying themselves to the fullest. WHAT A LIFE!

Nevertheless, we ended our mission at a local bar where shots and drinks were flowing just as vigorously as the buckets of water had been an hour before. Luckily for us, and our livers, the boat crew had an early morning the next day, so we were cut loose before any real damage occurred. Being on a budget and not having a real reason to drink ourselves under the table, our tolerance was nowhere near where it used to be in DC. We just saw it as a welcomed detox for our systems and our wallets :)

Fisherman village

The alcohol provided us with the deep sleep we needed to wake early the next morning for a tour of Ao Phang-nga National Park, an area of the mainland just north of Phuket Island. We were grouped with three Thai travelers; one woman named Meow, and another man and woman whose names have escaped me. Phang-nga is a bay area spotted with limestone karsts jutting out from the clear blue waters. The tour was entirely by longboat and began by winding through a long channel of water with dense mangroves on either side. The sky was bright and clear and in the distance you could see the enormous limestone formations rising above the trees. As we wound between the forests, through caves and alongside the karsts, we eventually came out to an opening where a small fishing village had settled above the water, their huts on stilts, sheltered by the limestone. All around us and along the horizon were islands of limestone; it was unlike anything I had ever seen. Its beauty too broad to be captured by a single photograph.



James Bond Island
The tour lead us to a couple of large stationary boats where we transitioned to inflated canoe-like rafts, manned by local Thai guides. For roughly 45 min we were taken under, through, and around the limestone caverns; cooling our feet in the still water. From there we went back to our longboat and went to an island where another of the James Bond movies was filmed (The Man with the Golden Gun). After snapping photos that hardly do the place justice, we finished our tour by heading to the village for a quick snack before returning back to the mainland. The day had been extremely satisfactory and when we returned to Phuket Town, we found that the city was still busy celebrating the New Year and large parties with music and gushing water were underway.

On our final day in Phuket we went to the coast to check out the beach scene. Huge mistake. It was like Myrtle Beach on crack. A carnival of people everywhere. Even the extremely long beach was at capacity with chairs, towels, and bodies covering 99% of the sand between the street and the water. We patted ourselves on the back for choosing to stay in Phuket Town, even if there seemed to be less to do there. In this case, less was definitely more.

We left Phuket on the fourth day and head to the island of Koh Phi Phi.

KOH PHI PHI

Koh Phi Phi and is much like its quieter, smaller, and less inhabited sister. Like I said, it was heaven. Luckily, we were just hitting the beginning of the slow season and the island, which is normally packed with party-goers, was much quieter; allowing us to enjoy all the different sides of the island in our one night stay.

Keanan spent the day seeking out accommodation for him and his friends in preparation for a bachelor party getaway that was scheduled to descend on the island in six days’ time. While he was doing that, I wandered the island and came upon a distant beach, Long Beach, which was only accessibly by longboat or through forested paths. However, it was extremely hot and after sometime, even the water was not enough to provide me with a cool escape. I had to head back to a shower and some time under a fan. On my way back I ran into Keanan and we returned together to refresh ourselves and to enjoy the nightlife Koh Phi Phi had to offer.

We began the night at a Reggae bar, which doubled as a Muy Thai arena, and discothèque. There, we watched trained fighters, as well as random volunteers, duke it out for glory and free buckets (literal buckets filled with your choice of alcohol and mixer- a specialty of Thailand). After watching women, children, and horribly unfit men enter the ring, we had had our fill and meandered along the beach to find another form of stimulation. To my delight we came across a bar with a beachside dance floor playing great dubstep jams. As usual, Keanan and I started the dance party and spent the rest of the evening enjoying this diamond in the rough. Boy, do I miss that place and looking back, wish I would’ve had one more night there.

The next morning we debated and decided to spend the eve of my birthday and our last night together (before we split ways for a two week span) on the mainland in Railay Bay, a peninsula off the city of Krabi. Railay Bay is surrounded by steep cliffs and is known for its world class rock climbing. We arrived in the early evening and checked into a wonderful resort. It was our first, and my only, resort like accommodation and feeling the comforts of class was a most welcomed treat. Happy birthday to me! *Thanks to Keanan, of course.

The bay was small and beautiful and as it just so happened, our arrival came on the last night of their international rock climbing competition. The beach was alive with music, lights, and numerous food stands. We spent the night walking up and down, eating and swaying to the music. A party just for me?! I blush ;)

The next morning, my birthday, was bitter sweet as Keanan and I packed our things and prepared to return to Krabi only to split ways; Keanan heading to Bangkok to prepare for his friends arrival and I to the island of Koh Phangan, on the gulf side, for the world famous full moon party. Unfortunately, this journey ended up being much more expensive than anticipated, but hey, it was my birthday and if I won’t treat myself then, when will I?

It began with our longboat taxi driver refusing to take only Keanan and I across, resulting in a long wait time hoping that other passengers would come to expedite the process. When we finally got to the mainland it was only to find that I had missed the last bus to the port at the city of Surat Thani, which meant that I would not be able to get to Koh Phangan until the next day; thus, missing the full moon party. This answer was not acceptable and my only option was to rent a private car and driver to get me to the dock in time to catch the ferry. I was left with the decision to shell out the cash or spend my birthday in a ghost town, alone, with nothing to do and nowhere to go. I chose the former. Within 15 min I had said goodbye to Keanan and was on my way. It was weird being on my own for the first time in two months, but I was filled with excitement for what lay ahead of me.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT. Where's your Full Moon party story?? I can't wait to hear of your adventures in Laos!

    ReplyDelete